Wilkes-Barre Restaurant Guide, Summer 2019
This list consists of the best places to eat in Wilkes-Barre, which are frequented by the locals and include a variety of cuisines. Whether you desire the exotic dishes of Mexico, Turkey or Japan, or enjoy a more casual setting featuring American fare, this is your Wilkes-Barre restaurant guide to find them.
Every once and a while, 570MENU editors will be adding worthy restaurants that were omitted, have newly become eligible, or have stepped up their game; restaurants must be open at three months to qualify for consideration.
If your favorite restaurant isn’t on list, send us a note nominating it for inclusion; we’ll be posting updated versions of the essential Wilkes-Barre restaurants throughout the year.
Other Wilkes-Barre Guides
- Looking for a place to stay in Wilkes-Barre? Here is our list of the best hotels Wilkes-Barre has to offer
- Looking for something to do? Check out our extensive list of things to do in Wilkes-Barre
Restaurants in Wilkes-Barre
- Address: 40 S. Main Street Wilkes-Barre, PA 18701
- Website: https://www.istanbulgrillpa.com/
- Phone Number: 570-822-0222
The dishes at Istanbul Grill rival the quality of food at Turkish restaurants in New York City and comprise of kebob, seafood and phyllo-based desserts like baklava. The space is elegant and simply decorated making it the perfect stop for an evening date or meal with friends.
- Address: 670 Kidder St Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702
- Website: http://elreyaztecarestaurant.com/
- Phone Number: 570-829-4900
Siblings, Gaston and Betsy Romero, provide a menu inspired by their Mexican heritage. The choices of dishes from tacos and burritos to sizzling fajitas makes this a perfect family stop, but the real draw is the fact that the dishes have been passed down generation to generation in Gaston and Betsy’s family.
- Address: 463 Madison Street Wilkes-Barre, PA 18705
- Website: http://www.corkdining.com/
- Phone Number: 570-270-3818
This place has an Italian skew although it showcases a mixture of American dishes like crab cakes or peach-whiskey glazed pork as well. The inclusion of a bar menu including flatbreads and burgers makes this restaurant as easy to visit with friends as for a special occasion.
- Address: 1280 Highway 315 Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702
- Website: http://www.rustickitchen.biz/wilkes-barre
- Phone Number: 570-824-6600
The expanse of this elegant restaurant makes it the perfect gathering spot for special events, but the real pull is the wood fired pizza oven firing up golden pizzas, in addition to the pasta dishes using house made dough. If Italian food is your must-have, Rustic Kitchen is an important place to visit.
- Address: 268 S. Main Street Wilkes-Barre, PA 18701
- Website: https://lemanhattanbistro.com/
- Phone Number: 570-706-9588
Chef Gwen, the owner of this French-inspired resto, has a notable history working with Jean Georges in New York City and winning Chopped on Food Network in 2013. The menu is largely French with classics like steamed mussels and duck confit, but American accents like crab cakes and chicken club sandwiches are just as appealing.
- Address: 41 S. Main Street Wilkes-Barre, PA 18701
- Website: http://www.thaithaiwilkesbarre.com/
- Phone Number: 570-824-9598
Devotees to Thai cuisine will adore this spot with authentic curries and noodles, but newcomers will enjoy it just as well. Key dishes to try are the green papaya salad, Massaman curry and Thai iced tea, especially if you are new to Thai food and want to explore a variation of flavors.
- Address: 200 Wilkes-Barre Township Boulevard Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702
- Phone Number: 570-371-3130
For authentic Mexican cuisine, previous guests seem to agree this place is worth visiting. The menu is slightly smaller than other Mexican joints, but this allows for focus on making the dishes the best they can be, and you will find favorites from enchiladas to tacos and pozole.
- Address: 1287 N Washington Street Wilkes-Barre, PA 18705-1819
- Phone Number: 570-866-0431
Buona Sera provides Italian specials like fettuccine alfredo, chicken parmesan and penne in vodka tomato sauce. The space is small and quaint, and an excellent choice when an elegant space is desired for a nice dinner.
- Address: 804 Scott Street Wilkes-Barre, PA 18705
- Website: http://anthracitecafe.net/
- Phone Number: 570-822-4677
Anthracite Café specializes in serving beer and great homemade food to go with it. For those who plan to visit for the evening with friends, there are excellent appetizers like deep fried macaroni and cheese, nachos and wings. If you are someone going out for a full meal, there is fish, pasta, pulled pork and more.
- Address: 216 N River Street Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702
- Website: https://www.jasminethaiwilkesbarre.com/
- Phone Number: 570-822-7222
Jasmine Thai Restaurant and Lounge serves up Thai food with an elevated spin. The soft rolls are packed with veggies and served with a tantalizing peanut dipping sauce. A favorite of the guests is the drunken noodles, consisting of broad rice noodles with a choice of meat or seafood.
Core Life Eatery
Address: 33 Bear Creek Boulevard Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702
Phone Number: 570-606-3309
Core Life Eatery is the perfect place for lunch consisting of salads, grain bowls and soups. It has an order-over-the-counter set up like a fast food chain, which seems like an oxymoron when compared to the healthy focus of the menu. Try the tuna poke for plenty of protein and vegetables or the spicy ginger steak noodle soup if you have a hankering for a spicier dish.
- Address: 91 Parrish Street Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702
- Phone Number: 570-829-0303
Margarita Azul includes a series of Mexican dishes like chimichanga, a deep-fried burrito, and chiles rellenos, the signature meal of Mexico. Don’t forget to sample the desserts too, such as the decadent Tres Leches cake or the sopapilla including a cinnamon-sugar dusted tortilla bowl filled with ice cream.
Viva Farms Plains
Address: 1189 Highway 315 Plains, PA 18701
Phone Number: 570-689-8482
Viva Farms is a gastropub with a varied beer list, including options on tap or in a can or bottle, as well as an inspired menu. Guests also have the option to enjoy a cigar with their beverage. Expect the likes of great beer pairings like kielbasa and burgers, but with an elevated twist.
- Address: 95 W Chestnut Street, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18705
- Phone Number: 570-824-2233
Julie’s Cozy Café offers homemade brunch and lunch options throughout the week. Breakfast classicists can enjoy bacon and eggs with home fries and toast, while others might opt for the cheesecake stuffed French toast with berries. Lunch dishes might be stuffed peppers or a monte cristo sandwich with tangy, sweet chutney and pickles.
Vault Grill and Bar
- Address: 24 W Market Street Wilkes-Barre, PA 18701-1319
- Website: https://www.vaultgrillandbar.com/
- Phone Number: 570-371-3900
The appeal of this restaurant is a steakhouse style menu along with pasta, fish and vegetarian options that offer something for everyone. The historic building adds charm that makes this spot worth visiting for a nice dinner.
- Address: 1 Public Square Wilkes-Barre, PA 18701
- Website: http://cafetoscanarestaurant.com/
- Phone Number: 570-208-1252
Café Toscana specializes in Northern Italian cuisine, which includes saucy pastas, hearty soups and some beef and veal for meat lovers. Situated in downtown Wilkes-Barre, this place is great for tourists wanting to explore the city or for locals who want a night on the town.
- Address: 695 Kidder Street Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702
- Website: http://mirakuyawb.com/
- Phone Number: 570-820-0901
This is the perfect stop for classic Japanese fare. Those who know sushi adore Mirakuya and its artful presentations of sushi, sashimi and hand rolls. Non-sushi lovers can choose from soba or udon noodle dishes in addition to tempura and teriyaki.
- Address: 670 N River Street Ste 100 Wilkes-Barre, PA 18705
- Website: http://rivergrillenepa.com/
- Phone Number: 570-208-1282
This classic American bar and grill offers a little something for everyone. The menu is loaded with burgers, steak and sandwiches, but the best part is the outdoor space and gorgeous view of the Susquehanna river.
- Address: 131 Coal Street, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702
- Phone Number: 570-824-2222
Frog Pond focusses on pizza and wings, and is an excellent place to visit whether you want a hang-out with friends or somewhere to go with the family. Guests agree that the pizza tastes buttery with an exceptionally chewy crust and that the wings are juicy and tender.
- Address: 445 Hazle Street, PA 18702
- Phone Number: 570-829-9728
Classic takeout pizza is on offer at Angelo’s Pizza with choice of toppings. What is notable about this place is that the pizza is high quality while the prices are cheap. Try the sweet sauce pie, which the locals rave about.
- Address: 200 Mundy Street, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702
- Website: http://www.latoltecawilkesbarre.com/
- Phone Number: 570-825-5001
Many suggest that La Tolteca provides the best Mexican food in Wilkes-Barre and it is difficult to contest that considering the array of flavorful dishes like tacos, quesadillas, steak and chicken. What sets this place apart from other Mexican restaurants in the area is that the guacamole is fresh and prepared at the table.
- Address: 496 Carey Avenue Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702
- Phone Number: 570-266-8741
For perfect take-out pizza, look no further than Gerry’s Pizzeria. A favorite pie among guests appears to be the sweet sauce pizza, which involves a drizzle of sweet tomato sauce right on top of the oozing cheese.
- Address: 355 Market Street Kingston, PA 18704
- Website: https://www.kjspicklebarrel.com/
- Phone Number: 570-763-5147
KJ’s Pickle Barrel is a deli-style restaurant offering an array of sandwiches and salads. If you don’t like their classic sandwich combinations, you can build your own with different fillings and toppings, and there are eight types of bread to choose from.
- Address: 2238 Wilkes Barre Market Place Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702
- Website: http://nellospizzapa.com
- Phone Number: 570-970-3322
Nello’s Pizza serves deliciously thin hand tossed pizzas along with subs, strombolis and calzones. Although pizza is the name here, guests also order the philly cheesesteaks on a regular basis.
- Address: 785 N Pennsylvania Avenue Wilkes-Barre, PA 18705
- Phone Number: 570-270-6718
For a casual atmosphere and classic American dishes, Dukey’s Café fits the bill. The French onion soup is said to be the best in the area with perfectly caramelized cheese and they serve beer from Stegmaier which is located within the vicinity.
- Address: 560 Kidder Street Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702
- Phone Number: 570-824-3367
Italian fare is at its best at this joint with handmade pasta and pizza, along with divine tiramisu. Bettellis Villa focusses on getting all the details right down to the garlic bread, which is rubbed with olive oil and crushed garlic before being toasted.
Pattes Sport’s Bar and Restaurant
- Address: 65 W Hollenback Avenue Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702
- Website: http://www.pattessportsbar.com/
- Phone Number: 570-824-8015
Besides being a sport’s bar, Pattes has survived for years because the locals love the food and casual atmosphere. The menu includes a little bit of everything like fish, chicken, steaks and pasta, making it a great family spot for a meal or place to watch a game.
Aldo’s Pizzeria and Restaurant
- Address: 1161 Route 315 Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702
- Website: http://aldospizzeriaandrestaurant.com/
- Phone Number: 570-235-1108
Aldo’s offers the opportunity to dine inside the restaurant or deliver at home. The pizza is prepared in a New York style, but you can choose the toppings and thickness of the crust to adjust to your preference.
- Address: 1073 Highway 315 Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702
- Website: http://shogun315.com/
- Phone Number: 570-270-9168
Known as one of the best spots for Japanese food in the area, this place offers plenty of choice between sushi, udon noodles and tempura. Many attend the restaurant on Sundays when half priced sushi is available.
- Address: 145 N Main Street Wilkes-Barre, PA 18701
- Phone Number: 570-822-4404
S and W Restaurant is known to serve some of the best breakfasts in Wilkes-Barre with classics like bacon and eggs, and pancakes. For those who don’t enjoy breakfast, this diner provides burgers, wraps and sandwiches as well.
- Address: 1280 Highway 315 Mohegan Sun Casino At Pocono Downs Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702
- Website: https://mohegansunpocono.com/poi/dining/pearl.html
- Phone Number: 570-831-2227
Located in the Mohegan Casino, Pearl is a lively, yet intimate spot for fresh sushi. If you sit at the bar, you can watch the chef roll the sushi before your eyes. Other options include hibachi, teriyaki and noodles.
Uncle Buck’s BBQ
- Address: 361 W Main Street Plymouth, PA 18651
- Website: https://www.unclebucksbbq.com/
- Phone Number: 570-779-5950
Uncle Buck’s is one of the best spots in the area for genuine barbecue and everything is smoked in house. Although pizza and wings are available, the reason to visit is for the mouth-watering brisket, smoky ribs and chicken.