Scranton Restaurant Guide, Fall 2018
This list consists of the best places to eat in Scranton, which are favorites of the locals. Several are longstanding in the community or are situated in buildings that have been in existence since the late 1800s’. Whether you desire Mexican cuisine, cozy cafes or Lebanese dishes, this is your restaurant guide to find them.
Every once and a while, 570MENU editors will be adding worthy restaurants that were omitted, have newly become eligible, or have stepped up their game; restaurants must be open at three months to qualify for consideration.
If your favorite restaurant isn’t on list, send us a note nominating it for inclusion; we’ll be posting updated versions of the essential Scranton restaurants throughout the year.
Restaurants in Scranton
- Address: 523 Linden Street Scranton, PA 18503
- Website: https://www.backyardalehouse.com/
- Phone Number: 570-955-0192
Backyard Ale House is the place to go for beer and casual fare the likes of burgers and sandwiches. They have plenty of beer offered on tap or by bottle, and these varieties are updated regularly throughout the year.
- Address: 307 Penn Avenue Scranton, PA 18503
- Website: https://www.peculiarslurp.com/
- Phone Number: 570-800-1900
For a multitude of ramen and Asian buns, the Peculiar Slurp Shop is a great place to get your fix. The menu provides traditional ramen with pork while also sporting an Autumn inspired version involving squash, mushrooms and spinach.
- Address: 1911 N Main Avenue Scranton, PA 18508
- Website: http://www.ipanemagrille.com/
- Phone Number: 570-558-0742
Ipanema Grille showcases Brazilian cuisine at its finest with a series of succulent roasted meat. Although main dishes are available, the Rodizio, which is all-you-can-eat meat cut and served tableside, is the highlight. A hot buffet and salad bar rounds out the meal.
Address: 701 N Washington Avenue Scranton, PA 18509
Phone Number: 570-346-6883
Previously featured on the hit series, The Office, Cooper’s serves up all the seafood you could ever want. In addition to steamed crab legs, seafood pasta and grilled fish, guests can also enjoy steaks or burgers. They use the freshest fish and seafood possible, never frozen.
5. Angelo’s Italian Ristorante
- Address: 1120 Wheeler Avenue Dunmore, PA 18510
- Website: http://www.angelosnepa.com/
- Phone Number: 570-880-7173
Angelo’s offers elevated Italian food and seafood in an upscale setting perfect for special occasions although accommodating for walk-ins as well. Guests rave about the quality of the dishes and mention that the tiramisu is the best one around.
- Address: 501 Linden Street Scranton, PA 18503
- Phone Number: 570-903-6320
This fun, little spot is wonderful for brunch or lunch and displays a chalkboard menu complete all their options. Blue Bee Bistro serves sandwiches, soups and wraps but not all the usual kinds; expect a surf and turf inspired sandwich with prime rib and crab cake or a bun stuffed with Polish sausage and pierogi.
7. Bar Pazzo
- Address: 131 N Washington Avenue, PA 18503
- Website: http://www.barpazzo.com/
- Phone Number: 570-871-4179
For rustic, Italian food, look no further than Bar Pazzo. They serve up smoky, wood fired pizzas, such as Puttanesca with olives, garlic and tuna, as well as cured Italian meats and cheese. Sunday brunch features eggs in purgatory and a sweet berry mascarpone pizza also.
- Address: 100 Cedar Avenue, PA 18503
- Website: http://www.coneyislandofscranton.com/
- Phone Number: 570-961-8288
Coney Island of Scranton has a simple menu including hamburgers, hot dogs, French fries and onion rings. What they are known for above all, though, is the Texas wieners, which are basically chili dogs topped with chili con carne.
9. Ale Mary’s
- Address: 126 Franklin Avenue, PA 18503
- Website: http://alemarysnepa.com/
- Phone Number: 570-955-0176
Located in the century old Bittenbender building, Ale Mary’s is the place to go for a pint or a casual dinner with friends. This restaurant offers plenty of bar snacks like sliders, nachos and pretzels, in addition to burgers and sandwiches. They have over 100 brews available which rotate on a monthly basis.
- Address: 515 Center Street Scranton, PA 18503
- Website: http://adezzolife.com/
- Phone Number: 570-955-0130
This quaint café has a comforting vibe with brick walls and chandeliers. Coffee lovers will adore the variety of Italian coffees, but they also provide a series of simple, yet delicious salads, wraps and bagels. Don’t leave without enjoying their tiramisu or napoleon with flaky pastry and rich, custard cream.
11. Saccos Pizzeria and Italian Restaurant
- Address: 208 Meadow Avenue Scranton, PA 18505
- Website: http://www.saccositalian.com/
- Phone Number: 570-342-2500
This casual spot cooks up delicious pizzas, pasta, calzones and Stromboli. It also provides a variety of parmigiana dishes to try, such as eggplant, veal and chicken, which means everyone will be able to enjoy what they desire.
12. Oishi Japanese Restaurant Sushi and Hibiachi
- Address: 1736 N Keyser Avenue Scranton, PA 18508
- Website: http://www.scrantonoishi.com/
- Phone Number: 570-880-7873
This family owned sushi joint may look simple on the inside, but it provides exceptional sushi, sashimi, noodles and teriyaki to eat in or take home. Many locals tout it as the best sushi place in the area due to the quality and freshness of the sushi, as well as the prices.
13. Zummo’s Cafe
- Address: 918 Marion Street Scranton, PA 18509
- Website: https://zummoscafescranton.com/
- Phone Number: 570-344-2715
Zummo’s started as a grocery store and shoe making place in the late 1890s’, survived through the ages and re-established itself as a comforting café. Just out of the downtown core of Scranton, this place offers quality coffees and daily baked treats to enjoy. They also take cake orders for special events, as well as provide doughnuts and cupcakes.
14. A Little Pizza Heaven
- Address: 2015 Boulevard Avenue, PA 18509
- Website: http://alittlepizzaheaven.com/
- Phone Number: 570-347-4977
A Little Pizza Heaven is an excellent Italian restaurant that serves pizza, as well as homemade, tender gnocchi, crisp salads and melt-in-your-mouth eggplant parmigiana. If catering services are needed, they will make up trays of desserts and all their signature dishes as well.
- Address: 1206 O’Neill Highway Dunmore, PA 18512
- Website: http://www.theloadingdockbarandgrill.com/home.aspx
- Phone Number: 570-346-7391
The Loading Dock has over twenty varieties of beer on tap in addition to large menu of comfort food options. While you can enjoy burgers and pulled pork, fried chicken, grilled salmon and bacon-wrapped scallops are available as well.
- Address: 309 N Main Avenue Scranton, PA 18504
- Phone Number: 570-341-9030
Garibaldi Mexican Restaurant specializes in fresh, vibrant plates like burritos, guacamole, tacos and enchiladas. Don’t let the simplicity of the décor fool you; the food speaks for itself and Garibaldi is a favorite for Mexican food in the area.
17. Savory Maza
- Address: 200 N Main Avenue Scranton, PA 18504
- Website: http://savorymaza.com/index.html
- Phone Number: 570-969-2666
A unique addition to the Scranton restaurant scene is Savory Maza, a Lebanese restaurant with delicious dishes that are both familiar and unfamiliar. Highlights include the hummus, which is one of the creamiest you will ever find, as well as the baba ghanouj, labneh and olives or spinach pie.
18. Purple Pepper Deli
- Address: 825 N Keyser Avenue Scranton, PA 18504
- Website: https://tjb5202.wixsite.com/purplepepperfarms
- Phone Number: 570-507-3386
Purple Pepper Deli serves dishes using ingredients from their farm in Lake Winola. They specialize in preparing sub sandwiches with a mixture of meat, cheese, fresh vegetables, lettuces, pickles and salsas which means everyone will be able to find something to enjoy.
19. Eden – A Vegan Cafe
- Address: 344 Adams Avenue Scranton, PA 18503
- Phone Number: 570-969-1606
Although you will find titles on the menu such as meatball pizza or buffalo wings, Eden is truly meat-free and a favorite vegan restaurant in Scranton. In addition to savory dishes like fried rice and reuben sandwiches, you will also find vibrantly colored fruit and vegetable smoothies to enjoy any time of day.
- Address: 1808, 536 Spruce St, Scranton, PA 18503
- Website: http://www.northernlightespresso.com/
- Phone Number: 570-342-3200
Northern Light has been located in the historic Scranton Life building since 2002. As Scranton’s oldest independent coffee shop, Northern Light has been through many transformations and continues to be a local favorite. When you walk in, you’ll be welcomed by the smell of freshly brewed coffee and baked goods.
21. Cosmo’s Cheesesteaks
- Address: 532 Moosic Street Scranton, PA 18505
- Phone Number: 570-341-5100
For classic cheesesteaks, this may be the best place in Scranton. In addition to the usual beef and cheese, variations include barbecue sauce and ranch dressing or hot peppers. Also be sure to taste the fries, which are crispy and golden, and can be served with several kinds of toppings.
- Address: 217 E Market Street Scranton, PA 18509
- Website: https://www.mcnallyscranton.com/
- Phone Number: 570-800-5147
Mcnally’s is a pub that is unique because its menu changes depending on what is available during a particular season. Expect pub classics like Irish stew, shepherd’s pie and meatloaf in addition to flatbreads with many different toppings.
- Address: 349 Adams Avenue Scranton, PA 18503
- Phone Number: 570-344-2240
Thai Rak Thai is one of the best places for Thai food in Scranton. The dishes are ideal for sharing which means guests can sample several foods instead of having to choose. Try the red snapper in red curry sauce, drunken noodles and crispy fried calamari for some variation in tastes.
24. Café Sevda
- Address: 323 N Washington Avenue Scranton, PA 18503
- Website: http://cafesevdapa.com/
- Phone Number: 570-851-2017
Café Sevda is a unique addition to the Scranton scene offering Turkish breakfast, lunch and dessert options. For breakfast, you can enjoy a platter with a savory pastry, sliced tomatoes, cucumber, olives and feta, while for dessert, there is sticky, flaky baklava with pistachios. Also try the Turkish coffee for the best coffee you will ever try.
25. Mayuri Indian Cuisine
- Address: 917 Wyoming Avenue, PA 18509
- Website: http://www.pennmayuri.com/
- Phone Number: 570-341-3410
Mayuri Indian Cuisine serves all your favorite Indian dishes including tandoori meat, curries, chutneys and rice. While dinner is ordered from the menu, guests may sample North and South Indian style dishes from the buffet at lunch.
- Address: 540 Scranton Carbondale Highway Dickson City, PA 18519
- Website: http://www.greekamericangrill.com/
- Phone Number: 570-382-8137
This spot serves up all your favorite Greek fare in addition to American and Italian inspired dishes. Sample the baklava cheesecake which has the inclusion of sticky syrup and chopped nuts but the dense, creaminess of traditional cheesecake.
27. Italo’s Restaurant
- Address: 731 Pittson Avenue, PA 18505
- Website: https://italosrestaurant.weebly.com/
- Phone Number: 570-909-9172
This Mexican-American restaurant serves affordable dishes like enchiladas, tacos, burgers and sandwiches. Most people visit for the Mexican food, which consists of large portions and vibrant flavors, and their margaritas and Pina coladas are the freshest around.
28. Boulevard Diner
- Address: 1800 Boulevard Avenue Scranton, PA 18509
- Phone Number: 570-347-5555
Boulevard Diner serves excellent breakfasts along with signature Greek dishes, like braised lamb shank, avgolemono soup and dolmades. For those not wanting breakfast or Greek food, paninis and fried fish are on offer as well.